Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 7

What is solitude? Wikipedia says solitude is a state of seclusion or isolation; i.e., lack of contact with people. It may stem from bad relationships, deliberate choice, contagious disease, disfiguring features, repulsive personal habits, mental illness, or circumstances of employment or situation (see castaway).

I don't like that definition.

It went on to say - Short-term solitude is often valued as a time when one may work, think or rest without being disturbed. It may be desired for the sake of privacy.

A distinction can be made between physical and mental seclusion. People may seek physical seclusion to remove distractions and make it easier to concentrate, reflect, or meditate. However, this is not necessarily an end in and of itself. Once a certain capacity to resist distractions is achieved, people become less sensitive to distractions and more capable of maintaining mindfulness and staying inwardly absorbed and concentrated. Such people, unless on a mission of helping others, don't seek any interaction with the external physical world. Their mindfulness is their world, at least ostensibly.

I really agree with the part that I emphasized. It's about seeking mindfulness. I am so easily distracted so that is my goal. To be less distracted and more mindful and more seeking in finding out what God has for me in this soul seeking time. I simply don't know.

I do know that whether by simple coincidence or the enemy trying to get a foothold in - my life has grown extremely complicated since starting this journey. It makes me wonder what is so important about this journey that the enemy is attacking me so hard.

I still don't know the answer that. I still try to find solitude even with so many people around me for Nannie's viewing and upcoming funeral service. Even now I have family at my house. It's hard to "get away" and focus on God and pray and relax. But for me it really is being more mindful and even in the midst of all these "distractions - and I do not mean that disrespectful - I am still focusing on God and how I can be more mindful to my emotions and my surroundings. I can still pray and I can still worship.

I am just not alone. I haven't been alone for long in almost a week. So obviously I believe there is more to this solitude gig than a state of seclusion or isolation. It's more.

Today's Reflection: I saw my beautiful grandmother for the last time today. I completely know that she's in heaven with Papa and my beautiful girls that I miss so much. I thank you Lord for giving me peace. For helping me find solitude even in chaotic/stressful circumstances. I thank you Lord for the peace that passes all understanding and for letting it sustain me on this journey.

1 comments:

Julia Stewart October 8, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

i have been known to literally go inside my closet to pray. it is the one place that no one thinks to look... :-)

Leah's Other Blog

My "other" blog is more about day to day life with my husband and kids and rants and raves about a variety of subjects. Hope on over.

About This Blog

About Leah
My Purpose

Blog Header Credits:
designed by Kathleen Summers
products by Shabby Princess


Copyright Notice

Copyright 2009. The text and images on this blog are the sole property of the author. Any use or reproduction of anything contained herein without written consent of the author is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.

Followers

Shiny Stat


  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP